Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Misspellings and Accents




ANNOUNCEMENT

Now that I have retired from Library work, retirement will take me in new directions. I will finally once again be able to be more involved in my personal journey in genealogy as well as many other interests.

As a result, beginning May 1st, I will only be posting on the blog, once or twice a week and will no longer continue with recipes. I hope you have enjoyed the recipes we've posted and even ventured out to try a few. I have! :-)


Genealogy tip for the day: Tricks of the Trade
I attended the genealogy society Monday night and was glad to see there were some folks there I actually know. The lady that spoke talked about tricks of the trade, and surprisingly - many of the things she mentioned, I have already shared with you on my blog! So I guess I'm right on track!

We've talked about misspellings. One point that was made was that folks from different part of the country, or the world for that matter, have definite accents. As a result, names can be misspelled. Boyce may sound like Bice, or Boss, maybe even Bose.

Another tip - letters can look very similar. S and L in cursive are easily confused. b's, d's, and p's can be misinterpreted. Unconnected loops can give a false reading. I'm sure this is probably true of a lot of other letters as well.

When you're searching a particular surname, try to think about the different ways it may sound. These will give you ideas of other spellings you might try. When our speaker did that, it helped her to break down some walls.


“History is who we are; Genealogy is who I am” sg



Like what you read? Let us know.





 

Today’s Recipe
April – Tomato Month


(I saw this from Pinterest - I think I'll try it, myself.)


Ingredients:
2 Tomatoes
1 1/2 oz Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp, leaves Spices,
oregano, dried
1 dash Salt
1 dash Black Pepper
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
Preheat the oven to 450 F.

Directions:
Slice Tomatoes. Place them on a baking sheet. Top with shredded Parmesan, fresh oregano, salt and fresh ground pepper (season according to your taste). Drizzle with some olive oil and bake until tomatoes are tender and the cheese is melted, for about 10-15 minutes.


Apr 1st   Caprese Stacks
Apr 18th Semi Homemade Tomato Soup
Apr 30th  Parmesan Tomato Bites






ENJOY!

Now You Know!




No comments:

Post a Comment